CSUSM Hillel has had a tremendous first few weeks of school! Thanks to generous support from the Leichtag Foundation, Jewish life at CSUSM continues to grow and thrive.
All new and returning students were invited to the annual “First Day Coffee Stop”. For most, it was the highlight of their day and a great way to feel welcomed the first day of school, which can be stressful.
Hillel’s “Tuesday Bagels” continues to be a favorite hangout for students, and we’re seeing more and more students each week meeting up during University Hour to get a bagel and spend time with their Hillel friends.
The Welcome Back BBQ had a great mix of new and returning students. The many new faces is just one sign of how quickly this stilll young university is growing.
On Thursdays, Hillel opens its doors for a Challah Baking program. Wendy McCreary, Hillel’s solo Director at CSUSM, helps students bake with creative ingredients, and while they wait for their challah to rise, they get to learn from an installment of NJOP’s Crash Course in Jewish History.
The first Shabbat of the semester was lively and fun. A student shared a d’var Torah, which Wendy helped him prepare. For many students, it was their first time at a Shabbat dinner on campus.
- Tuesdays: Bagels @12pm outside the USU 4th Floor (except Oct. 4th, 18th and 25th)
- Sept. 20: Shabbat Dinner @6pm
- Sept. 29: Paint Night: High Holiday Style: Students will learn about the High Holidays while painting a picture. Each student will leave with their own canvas.
- Oct. 4: Shabbat dinner @6pm
- Oct. 20: Sushi in the Sukkah Lunch and Learn: Open to the community. Students will help build their Sukkah on campus again this year.
- Oct. 21: Shabbat dinner @6pm